Apologies for lifting a few lines from Homer's Iliad, but the metaphor was quite apropos. Our view of the morning sunrise was obscured by the clouds and adjacent buildings, but the pink and purple clouds had a nice hue. For a Saturday morning, I was surprised at how quiet our street was, considering how busy it seemed only a few hours ago. In the late evening hours, many people filled the streets, getting an early start on the weekend revelry. Every corner was packed with people - patrons of pubs and clubs littered the sidewalks. While the thought of stopping in a pub for a genuine Australian pint was appealing, being a dozen hours off my schedule meant that a beer or two was probably not in my best interest. Still, the weekend is ahead of us, and there will be ample opportunities to find a good pub. With luck, Matthew and I can step out for a beer before his work duties pull him away.
The street sweepers were out and about in the wee morning hours, hosing down and sweeping the narrow city streets. While the noise a little unwelcome, it didn't last long. When the morning light made the streets visible, there work was readily apparent. I noticed yesterday that the streets and sidewalks were dusty - that evidence was all but erased when they were done.
Breakfast was quick and relaxing. Ramona was happy to make her "European style" breakfast of fruits and cheeses. After a rough night, I was happy to simply have plenty of coffee. I have no doubt that today I will be relying on coffee for much of my consciousness throughout the day.
With the sun up, we could see things that weren't visible when we checked in. In the distance, we could see the Sydney Tower, a common sight on the Sydney skyline. Our wanderings today may take us in that direction, so we'll see what happens!
I know Ramona did not write that! Ha! Karl, I love that you post photos of your food. Makes me feel like I am there. Beautiful photos too.
ReplyDelete