Sunday, July 2, 2017

Hot times in London!

Oh my achin' feet!  According to my Fitbit, I walked over 26,000 steps yesterday.  In fact, I've averaged more than 15,000 each day over the last two weeks!  My feet were feeling particularly rebellious this morning, so Mona drew a bath and I soaked my legs for a while and started today's posting.  I can't believe my portion of this trip is coming to an end.  Saturday will be our last full day together; Sunday will be cut a little short so I can rest up for a pre-dawn flight Monday morning.

Yesterday (Friday) was already unseasonably warm for London; today is supposed to be very much the same.  I plan to dress light and hope the weather cooperates.  It will be pretty chilly if it gets windy, rainy or cold!

Heading out to the train station, the morning was both windy and a bit chilly.  I was hoping the weather would improve as the day went on, or else, I'd be a little on the miserable side!  We caught our train and headed back to an area we'd visited the other day, the Borough Market.  There, Mona got a fantastic cup of coffee and some duck confit salad.  Yum!


We continued onward to Shakespeare's Globe Theater, determined to make the tour today. ☺  After getting our tickets, our tour guide led through the reproduction of the iconic location.  We learned quite a bit about the theater might have looked in Elizabethan London, and how people might have enjoyed the works in that time.  As an added bonus, I snagged a picture of the donation stones in the yard from some famous benefactors who'd contributed to the reconstruction, including John Cleese, Sir Laurence Olivier and Sir Patrick Steward!  Globe Theater tour: check!

Walking a short distance away, it was time for another bus and a trip to Covent Gardens.  We stopped an outdoor plaza that led to a nearby series of shops.  We snaked through the maze of shops and stores, enjoying the wonderful afternoon. 


Our next stop took us a few short blocks away to Chinatown.  Chinatown is always an interesting place, so we try and check them out whenever we travel.  This time, we stumbled across a genuine Japanese bread shop!  They had an assortment of stuffed buns and traditional treats, so I had to help myself!


Moving on, we crisscrossed the streets, heading for Trafalgar square.  As we reached the square, we saw a festival celebrating Canada's 150th birthday.  We'd see the same signs when we were in Toronto just a week ago.


And as we reached the square, we found ourselves in the center of (peaceful) protest march!  The marchers were protesting a number of unpopular policies and austerity measures.  We caught sight of lots of clever signs, some of which I snapped pictures of.


We moved past the marchers and headed onward towards Chinatown.  Chinatown is always interesting, filled with unique foods.  This time, we found a Japanese bread shop!  I snagged a filled bun and we moved onto the next stop.

Kensington Park was gorgeous in the summer weather, filled with people enjoying the weekend.  We criss-crossed the park, before finding ourselves on the far side.  We hoped on a bus and found ourselves in front of Harrod's department store, famous for its toy department and its high-tech entertainment division.  Inside, we took ourselves to the fancy food court and snagged a few treats.  We left Harrod's and stopped at a nearby pub for more fish-n-chips.  This might be my last time to enjoy them before returning home.

As the afternoon wore on, we opted to hop on the bus and head a little closer to our flat.  At one of the stops, we hoped off as Ramona recognized the location:  Selfridge's!  We took a look around, then opted to stop  for a quick bowl of ramen at a stand.  Quality!  We were pretty much out of gas at this point, so we headed for the train station.  We picked up tickets for our next stop, then took ourselves home.







No comments:

Post a Comment