Travel time is upon again! Mona booked a flight to Venice, Italy for us! As part of a conference trip, we'll be traveling to Venice and Milan, Italy. We then continue onward to Lagano, Switzerland.
Thanks to our neighbor, we got dropped off at the airport this morning, saving us Uber or cab fare. After breezing through security, we had a quick flight to Chicago to await our next connection.
O'Hare is always busy, even at 6:30AM. It didn't take long for our flight to Newark to arrive, then whisk away to our next stop. We arrived at Newark before Noon, but our flight to Venice doesn't leave for nearly six hours. While some might see that as an issue, we took as an opportunity to get our vacation started right! Nothing wrong with disconnecting from work a bit early, getting caught on phone calls and simply let the time pass!
Fortunately, Mona planned for our lengthy layover and got passes for the United Club lounge. The United Club at Newark wasn't too far from arrival gate, and not too far from our departing gate. It was nice and comfortable and well-maintained. We've certainly stayed in a few really nice ones, and this wasn't too bad. There was a nice arrangement of snacks and drinks. The salad was quite nice, but I'd really hoped for more-substantial finger food. Mona sensibly had salad and cheese, but I ended up diving into the pretzels and M&Ms.
Before long, it was time for our flight. We headed across the terminal to our gate. Our equipment was a Boeing 767-300, configured two-aisle-three-aisle-two. We had a bulkhead pair, which was actually quite nice. Thanks to the seat power, I had plenty of time to recharge my tablet. Mona started watching "The Mule" with Clint Eastwood. I caught most of it, but eventually, I opted to catch some sleep. Venice is six hours ahead, so our flight left at 3AM Venice time - we would be arriving in the early morning.
Our flight from Chicago to Newark was so cold, we were afraid of getting frozen yet-again. Fortunately, Mona bought a blanket in the airport and the two blankets on the plane were all we needed. After a hot pasta dinner, I was fast asleep. I don't remember much of the flight at all - I usually wake up, but managed to sleep through the entire flight.
In the morning, we found ourselves approaching the Marco Polo airport. A short breakfast snack found us minutes from landing. It didn't take long to taxi and get to our gate, collect our luggage and exit the airport. Welcome to Italy!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment