Saturday, October 19, 2019

Night 1 - Venice at Night

Thanks to the time change, I was still fairly energized in the evening.  Sunset was just before 6PM local time, so the narrow streets quickly darkened.  It was dark enough that Mona's need for sleep kicked in, so I put her to bed.  It was still 60 degrees out, so it was time to head out to see Venice at night! 


Heading out from our lodgings just before 7PM, I headed in the opposite direction we had been travelling during the day.  The first thing I noticed was that many shops and cafes were still open, but many of them were taking down signs and banners to close.  A closer look at the signs showed many places closing at 7:30 or 8PM.  Talk about rolling up the sidewalk!

I headed over near the water front and criss-crossed several back alleys.  Much to my surprise, I found several hotels on several of these streets.


On the main streets, there were large crowds of people gathered.  It seems that the custom here is to order beer and wine from the local bars, then step out into the street to consume them.  There are very, very few places to sit, so the vast majority of people stood or crouched on stoops.



I stopped at a supermarker nearby that was still open and grabbed a quick drink and snack.  Heading back to our flat, it was surprising to see the streets had thinned out so quickly - only the bars and cafes were open, and all of the people were clustered around them.



Back in our flat, it didn't take long for jetlag to catch to me, so I was off to bed, too.  Tomorrow would see us heading out to other parts of Venice to take in the scenery!

No comments:

Post a Comment