Thursday, February 12, 2009

On the way to Delhi

Wouldn't you know it: the day we leave is the day the weather improves in Amsterdam! The sky was pretty clear as we waited for the tram back to Central Station. Actually, it was the first time I'd seen the moon in a few days, but I digress....

Taking a moment to reflect on it, the B&B we'd been staying at was certainly a nice find – and a nice deal! For the price, it had all of the amenities that Ramona and I were after (wireless Internet, big bathroom, etc). It was hard leaving it all behind.

Ramona wants to add that I was in “cheese heaven” with a plethora of fine cheeses for breakfast every morning. One day when were were walking around town I even stopped in a deli and got bread, cheese and salami and ate it right on the street (I think Karl thought I was weird, but I know Mom and Angie will appreciate that San Fran moment).

From the Central Station, it was a quick train ride back to Schipol airport. The train was fairly full – probably folks on their morning commute. Crazily enough, two of the four friends we'd made in Amsterdam were on the same train. The couple from Barcelona, who'd taken our picture at the bar with Milo and Luc, were also on the way to the airport, to head home. Sadly, we didn't get a chance for picture with them.

Amsterdam Tram Tips – Hurry up and get on and off the Tram. Yes, the Tram will take off even if you are banging on the door to get on or off. If you're going to ride the Tram or Bus a lot I suggest getting the I Amsterdam card. Also please DO NOT stand in the way of the Tram Attendant and do not stand in the space reserved for strollers.


At the airport, we spotted a student in U of M sweatpants. It turns out that he was a medical student, going home for a wedding and a short visit. And also, it turns out he's a buddy of the one medical student that Ramona happens to know at U of M. One degree of separation! This was a good reminder of just how easy it is to run into someone from U of M – anywhere; anytime.

Our KLM flight to New Delhi turned out to be a wonderful experience. Due to the plane being overbooked, we had to get our seat assignments at the gate. Though our seats were not adjacent, we were booked in First class! The woman seated next to me was glad to trade seats with Ramona, so we were able to sit together for the duration of the flight. We were seated in the upper deck of a 747-400, with just a handful of customers. The two stewardesses kept coming through with drink after drink, snacks and so on. After getting not one, but three meals on our eight-hour flight, I can see why so many people opt for First class tickets for long flights. I have to admit – it was the most comfortable flight I've every been on.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping up with this blog. I am really enjoying it. That's cool about running into the two friends you had made and the U of M student. (Ramona's Aunt Patty)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys rock! Thanks for keeping us informed

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Ramona and Karl!

    I love your blog and I am thrilled that you are having a tremendous time together sharing many awesome experiences! God is at work within you! I have to ditto what Laura said, You guys rock! Love ya, Sandy :o)

    ReplyDelete